Anonymous said: I'm new to the community. Anything I need to know?
really quick Asexual 101
- asexuality = no sexual attraction. that’s literally it
- ace: shortened form of asexual; like how bisexuals are bi, we are 'ace'
- asexuality is a spectrum, and gray-asexual and demisexual are valid identities that fall on the ace spectrum
- allosexual: a person who experiences sexual attraction, i.e. someone who is straight or gay or bi
- asexy: an ace term to describe something nice-looking but without the sexual implications of the word ‘sexy’
- colors are black, gray, white, and purple
tumblr is being cranky and won’t let me use a pic but the flag is four horizontal stripes of black, gray, white, and purple descending in that order
- black ring worn on the middle finger of either hand
- ace of spades = aromantic asexual; ace of hearts = alloromantic asexual; ace of clubs = gray-asexual; ace of diamonds = demisexual
- cake: a community in-joke is that we are obsessed with cake, because cake>sex
- don’t tell people how to identify; there is no One True Way to be asexual and behavior =/= orientation
- don’t throw people who fit stereotypes under the bus
- do encourage varied representation of asexuals and show the world that there is no One True Way to be asexual
- do look out for your fellow asexuals; it’s a harsh world out there and we’ve got to support each other
- acephobia: discrimination against asexual people
- allosexism: assertion that it is better or more valid to be allosexual than asexual
- amatonormativity: assertion that monogamous romantic relationships are more valuable than other types of relationships
- sex-disinterested: not being interested in sex/sexual things
- sex-repulsed: being repulsed by sex/sexual things; note: sex-repulsion and disinterest can occur in varying degrees
- don’t be afraid to ask questions as long as you do so respectfully
- welcome to the club!!!